Sunday, January 23, 2011

Brake and axle tear down.

So the next step was to completely disassemble the axles and brakes. I plan on upgrading the fronts to disc, just like I did on my Jeepster. I have the Jeepster's old 10" front backing plates which are going to be put on the back of Red. Should work great. Inside though, there's a lot of work to be done. New Tie Rods and king pin bearings are in order, along with new axle seals in the back. The fluid that come out of both diffs was black molasses. Certainly good that its all being re-done. The rear Dana 44 is being stuffed with a Lock-rite locker. No more open diff..but annoying ratchety noises when I go around corners...you just can't win at everything.

Here's both rear axles...the hubs wouldn't come off, so the backing plate had to come off with it.



The Front.


The rear.
All the loose parts are going to be powdercoated, and I took all of them down to my trusty self-serve sandblasting place for clean up. This is what comes out. Ready for coating.

No comments:

Post a Comment